hatched crooked beak developing into crossbeak? PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by foxflower, May 11, 2010.

1. foxflower

foxflower Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    I just noticed this 3 week old BLRW chick's beak is crooked but not really a crossbeak yet. [​IMG] I'm thinking it may be developing into a crossbeak since there is a tiny bit of difference in alignment between top and bottom. When I looked at the pics from 1 week old I can see it must of hatched that way. Any thoughts on what happened -- genetics, in-egg development problem, vitamin deficiency? It is doing fine so far, so I won't cull it unless its suffering or is a roo. I'm going to add vitamins to the water and give some individually.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mandyplo

mandyplo In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Canada Ontario
    Oh dear [​IMG] She's adoreable too.. I really don't know much about this or what to give chicks as babies like vitamins to help, but BEST OF LUCK! I hope he/she Is okay, she looks happy!! and Healthy.
    Good luck!

3. mandyplo

mandyplo In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Canada Ontario
    ps. What kind of chicks are those two?

4. foxflower

foxflower Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    Thanks. This just threw me because its like the whole beak area is growing off toward the side. I'm wondering if it got deformed in the egg.

5. foxflower

foxflower Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    The one with the crooked beak is a blue laced red wyandotte. The other is a black copper maran/penedesenca cross. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: