Hatched Dead Chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Leelou13, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Leelou13

Leelou13 New Egg

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi guys
    Today is day 22 out of 24 eggs I've had 3 hatch yesterday and 3 today but the last ones a domain looked quite large I put him into the heated brooder as I had done with the others but he was throwing himself around with laboured breathing and his little heart pounding I knew he wasn't going to make it and slowly slowely the breathing eased until he stopped breathing and died just half an hour after hatching so so sad The reason I removed them from the incubator so soon after hatching is because I haven't candled the eggs and there is a slight of fish smell in the incubator so I'm taking the chicks our as they hatch in case an egg explodes and infects them all.
    I don't want to start moving the eggs at this stage in case I disrupt piping and they die in the shell I can hear at least one chick piping
    Have I done the right thing? I don't know

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't think that moving the chicks so soon had anything to do with the chick dying. Sometimes chicks don't make it and the reasons are obvious and sometimes they are not. Is this your first hatch? Are you pretty good at candling? You can gently pick up each egg and hold it on its side, exactly how it's laying in the incubator and candle them. Did you candle on day 18 before locking down?

3. Leelou13

Leelou13 New Egg

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi
    I don't have a proper candling torch just a torch which was okay early on but unable to see anything now the embryos are so large
    On hind site when the egg was hatching the membrane that was revealed though torn was really pulsating I image where the chick was gasping for air Maybe I should have assisted with the hatching [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by