Hatched duckling with noisy breathing and umbilicus

sunflowa20

Chirping
Aug 12, 2020
Ireland
Hi all.
My father had his second batch of eggs start hatching today. Just one so far so maybe it’s a day early. This little one had a rough time getting out. Its ambulicis is still protruding sllightly and bloody. Looks like some of the yolk got onto the duckling since it is a bit caked into his fluff.

I think some got on his beak and I can hear little bubble noises when he breaths. It sounds like he is snotty and needs to blow his nose.

Do I try and gently clean some of this yolk off the fluff and beak? He seems weak and is not able to sit or stand upright. He keeps curling up into the egg shape with his neck right down.

Any help would be appreciated. Don’t want this little one to die or suffer.
C49507C0-C87A-4EB1-A4B8-4966F0857F1E.jpeg
36BB7829-8852-4CBB-A6E3-84D6F69AE4D8.jpeg

No just put it back I got he incubator and leave it be. The breathing noises are normal and what happens when they have been growing in what is essentially a glob of goo. The yolk isn’t that bad and just needs more time to absorb. The goop in the down is also normal.

Thanks everyone.

No one pulled him out the shell. But perhaps he rolled out? The egg was totally in half where the last batch were split into 2/3rd.

I’m not sure if it ruptured or not. I only recently finished work so did not see what happened earlier. He was just rolling in the incubator and has the bloody spot on his tummy

Thanks everyone.

No one pulled him out the shell. But perhaps he rolled out? The egg was totally in half where the last batch were split into 2/3rd.

I’m not sure if it ruptured or not. I only recently finished work so did not see what happened earlier. He was just rolling in the incubator and has the bloody spot on his tummy
If anything you could put some plain original neosporine on it. I would leave him be if there are no other ducklings currently hatched otherwise if there are you could put him in a small cup. However, with overly active ducklings I try to avoid having to put them in a cup. Crawling out of the cup can cause more damage to the umbilical area.

It’s not unusual for them to curl up like they would in an egg until they are fully absorbed
The most I would do is wet s q tip and gently rub around the nares right clear any egg goo that may have been on his beak. I wouldn’t try to bath baby
If you get a small bowl and put down dry paper towel and let baby curl up put back in the bator once it’s finished mine will start to be more active
He just came out a little to early
Was this baby assisted ? When we make a hole to big trying to help we often cause babies to push out to soon

It’s not unusual for them to curl up like they would in an egg until they are fully absorbed
The most I would do is wet s q tip and gently rub around the nares right clear any egg goo that may have been on his beak. I wouldn’t try to bath baby
If you get a small bowl and put down dry paper towel and let baby curl up put back in the bator once it’s finished mine will start to be more active
He just came out a little to early
Was this baby assisted ? When we make a hole to big trying to help we often cause babies to push out to soon
Thanks. We are putting him back in the incubator tonight. He seems to be a bit stronger and can hold his head up now at least. He was not assisted as far as I know. We learnt the hard way with chicks to let nature do it’s thing

Back
Top Bottom