Hatched ducklings and gone broody again?!?

Angie Poo

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
Parma, Idaho
My lovely group of ducks has me thoroughly confused!:/
I have:
1 Rouen hen
1 blue Swedish X Rouen hen
1 buff X khaki Campbell drake

2 Muscovy hens
1 Muscovy drake

First one of my Muscovy hens hatched ducklings that appear to be mules on 5/12/16. She isn't the best mother (after returning lost babies to her more then a few times :he) she abandoned her ducklings about 2 1/2 weeks ago and has returned to siting on a nest in the chicken coop that she originally hatched this group in. She has approx. 6 or so eggs under her (she won't let me see them). Luckily the more experienced Rouen hen took the abandoned ducklings under her wing after unsuccessfully trying to hatch her own.

Now the blue Swedish cross hatches ducklings on 5/30/16. She was a wonderful mother until recently and had seemed to be disappearing. Come to find out she had a stash of eggs under a shrub that she is now sitting on. Her ducklings have stuck with her for the most part but luckily they venture off for food and water then come right back!

Is any of this normal?? I've never experienced any of this before and have owned ducks for several years now. Either I've missed out on these experiences or my ducks are going loony on me.

The first 3 hatched 5/12/16

Back
Top Bottom