Hatched eggs despite the odds!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by liljunie, Feb 11, 2013.

1. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    I posted on Thursday that I was worried about losing power from blizzard Nemo. My eggs were on day 20 half in my Brinsea and half in a Genesis 1588. I put the incubators infront of my wood stove and despite fluctuating temps humidity craziness and melting my genesis styrofoam I hatched 6 our of 10 eggs!!! One chick is weak, I had to help it hatch. My 3 week old chicks are nurturing them!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PollyC

PollyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Hartford, Maine
    so cute. I was sweating bullets that I would not lose power too, we normally lose it at the drop of a hat, but we were lucky. I have 2 incubators full and would have probably lost all. First batch go into lockdown tomorrow. Hope this next round of snow and sleet aren't to bad.

3. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    I noticed on ebay you can buy mini jumper cables that will power the genesis using a car battery I think?

4. PollyC

Sep 22, 2008
    Hartford, Maine
    I am looking for something that plugs into the cig lighter in car and converts the 12 volt to 110 so I could just bring the bators out to the car and plug them in. I forget what it is called.

5. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    I am not sure how many volts you can run from a cigarette lighter, but I know exactly what you mean a converter plug for the car.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I expect a run on that type of electronic equipment after the recent storm and with the predicted weather for ME this week. I'm shopping for an "? invertor" for a car battery" this morning. we have a generator, but it doesn't do any good if it won't start!!

7. PollyC

Sep 22, 2008
    Hartford, Maine
    I know what you mean, we have 2 older generators in the garage and neither will run. Someday I hope to get one that actually works. I think the inverter would do the trick even if you have to go out and run your car for a bit to charge the battery. The jumper cables i would think you would need some sort of inverter I don't know how it would hook directly from battery to incubator

8. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
  9. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    These incubators run on DC - you have an adapter that plugs into the house that converts AC to DC that comes with the incubator - so the plug for the car battery is the way to go.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  10. PollyC

Sep 22, 2008
    Hartford, Maine
    I am looking at an inverter at K-Mart that is on sale. It is 150 watts. My little Giants are each 40 watts so this should be okay. It is $25 and I can plug them both in at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by