Hatched eggs despite the odds!!!

liljunie

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
I posted on Thursday that I was worried about losing power from blizzard Nemo. My eggs were on day 20 half in my Brinsea and half in a Genesis 1588. I put the incubators infront of my wood stove and despite fluctuating temps humidity craziness and melting my genesis styrofoam I hatched 6 our of 10 eggs!!! One chick is weak, I had to help it hatch. My 3 week old chicks are nurturing them!

I posted on Thursday that I was worried about losing power from blizzard Nemo. My eggs were on day 20 half in my Brinsea and half in a Genesis 1588. I put the incubators infront of my wood stove and despite fluctuating temps humidity craziness and melting my genesis styrofoam I hatched 6 our of 10 eggs!!! One chick is weak, I had to help it hatch. My 3 week old chicks are nurturing them!
so cute. I was sweating bullets that I would not lose power too, we normally lose it at the drop of a hat, but we were lucky. I have 2 incubators full and would have probably lost all. First batch go into lockdown tomorrow. Hope this next round of snow and sleet aren't to bad.

I noticed on ebay you can buy mini jumper cables that will power the genesis using a car battery I think?

I am looking for something that plugs into the cig lighter in car and converts the 12 volt to 110 so I could just bring the bators out to the car and plug them in. I forget what it is called.

I am not sure how many volts you can run from a cigarette lighter, but I know exactly what you mean a converter plug for the car.

I noticed on ebay you can buy mini jumper cables that will power the genesis using a car battery I think?
I expect a run on that type of electronic equipment after the recent storm and with the predicted weather for ME this week. I'm shopping for an "? invertor" for a car battery" this morning. we have a generator, but it doesn't do any good if it won't start!!

I know what you mean, we have 2 older generators in the garage and neither will run. Someday I hope to get one that actually works. I think the inverter would do the trick even if you have to go out and run your car for a bit to charge the battery. The jumper cables i would think you would need some sort of inverter I don't know how it would hook directly from battery to incubator

These incubators run on DC - you have an adapter that plugs into the house that converts AC to DC that comes with the incubator - so the plug for the car battery is the way to go.

Last edited:
I am looking at an inverter at K-Mart that is on sale. It is 150 watts. My little Giants are each 40 watts so this should be okay. It is $25 and I can plug them both in at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom