Hatched in egg rocker

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cmobley, Nov 13, 2016.

1. cmobley

cmobley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    So I had what day to stop egg turner in my phone forgot to write it on calendar and my phone died a week ago. I thought it was the 12th but I was wrong got up this morning chicks were sitting in the egg rocker lol I opened up my bator which is a farm innovations took the chicks and other eggs outta the rocker and closed it back up. Should I have left it alone or what. I have 7 chicks in there and about 8 more eggs some were unzipping.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Life bites you every now and then doesn’t it. Stuff happens, don’t beat yourself up over it.

Life is full of risks. It is possible you could shrink-wrap a chick by opening the bator after it has zipped. It does happen but the reality is that it is pretty rare. I’ve done it myself, shrink-wrapped one. But there are people on here that open the incubator all the time during hatch. Most of the time it’s not a problem but I can think of one person on the forum that does that all the time who is also an expert on helping chicks having trouble hatching. If you run into problems send @amylynn2374 a private message. She is a very nice lady and if she is available is very good about helping.

One problem with leaving the turner in there is that the chicks make a mess when they hatch. It’s a lot easier to clean the turner if you take it out before hatch. But that’s mostly a convenience. The risk in leaving the turner in (even turned off) is that most have sharp corners where a chick can trap a leg, wing, or neck. This can be bad. While I don’t open the incubator during hatch unless I have what I consider a good reason, I’d have done exactly what you did.

3. cmobley

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    Thanks for the help I did open it again I noticed 2 chicks had shrink wrapped and were wrestling but really glued in there I broke em open got me unglued they're fine in there now laying and drying out. My humidity keeps going above 80% I have both holes open but it isn't helping. I have 6 more eggs in there that's not pipped I'm just gonna leave it closed the rest of the day I actually set those eggs a day after the ones that's already hatched.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Aww, thanks.

Another thing I'd like to add is many new hatchers mistake what shrink wrap really is. The inner membrane does surround the chick rather closely, and people see this and fear shrinkwrap. A true shrink wrap will tighten around the chick and literally pull the chick down to where it can not move. I have some good pics of shrink wrap. If the chick is moving around in there, chances are it's not shrink wrap. Something that happens more commonly is a pip with a good amount of exposed membrane will dry around that area and literally glue itself down to the chick making it hard for the chick to move to progress. If you have a pip with quite a bit of membrane exposed, putting a light coat of petroleum jelly or non pain relief neosporin on it keeps the membrane from drying out.

Ridgerunner is right, I am constantly in my bator during hatch. I'm a meddler. I take out egg shells, turn over pippers that have rolled and pull out my chicks. In the 2 years I've been hatching, I have never had a chick shrink wrap from opening my bator. I keep my humidity 75%+ for hatch, and I keep neosporin on any membranes that have a big area of exposure.

My humidity often shoots up 80-90% during hatch. I don't worry about it being high unless I start seeing condensation, but honestly, I am such a meddler that it doesn't usually stay that high for long periods. There is nothing wrong with being hands off, and leaving the bator shut, just some of us have an impossible condition of meddling..lol but, it should be done with precautions too. Higher humidity, stable incubator and such.

Good luck on the rest of your hatch and keep us posted.

5. cmobley

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    [​IMG] these 10 chicks were set a day before my other 6 that are still pipping in the bator. The 5 black ones are maran and the yellow are Rhode Island Red. Their daddy is a Easter egger rooster. With this mix is there any way to tell who will be a roo or hen I know some chicks can be sexed at birth because of their breed not side if these can any way I have 6 eggs left so maybe I'll get more chicks in the morning. Thanks for y'all's help it's nice hatching something bigger than a quail lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by