Hatched my first Turkey

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Today one of my turkey eggs hatched..noisy little thing..Longer neck than chicks..got one more to hatch..then another 5 few weeks down the road if they are all fertile and make it..but got one...[​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    GRATZ!!!! You gotta post a picture [​IMG] BTW what kind is he/she?

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    When it dries up some will take picture.....it is a Royal Palm..

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i have never seen a baby turkey!...i want pics!...[​IMG]..

5. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I will take photo tomorrow when dry some I know the neck seems longer than chicks so..and feet seem bigger.

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    That's great!!! Congratulations! I've never hatched turkeys but I've read that, sometimes, they don't get the hang of eating on their own so be prepared. I've also read that putting a chick in with the turkey will get the turkey eating when he sees the chick eating. But maybe you'll be lucky and not have to deal with that. Just giving a heads up just in case.

7. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Yes thanks for the heads up I do have some 1 week old baby chicks I can put Turkey with...I am not sure if the other Turkey egg will hatch or not...I just candled it to see if alive no movement is it possible it is alive and just not moving.....[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    How do you incubate a turkey? How many days? Do you spritz with water? Are the eggs a lot bigger than a chicken? Do they fit in the turners or do you have to hand turn them? I want to raise them- soon, just interested in learning first!!
    CONGRATS!
    Christina

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Man,,,, congrats!! I want to hatch turkeys so bad but the only eggs I got last year were mishandled on the way here and didn't even form. I want turkeys!!!

10. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Incubation is 28 days instead of 21 for chicks...I didn't spritz with water...just like a chicken incubation just 28 days...I don't use turner so don't know. The eggs are bigger...hope this helps some.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by