Hatched on Day 19 and have some questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KenleighFarms, Oct 29, 2013.

1. KenleighFarms

KenleighFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Hello all! I had two buff brahma's make their entrance on day 19 of incubation. Both are very small and one has very large eyes. Almost like bug eyes if that makes sense on a small skull. Has anyone had this issue before? I have had them on day 20, but never on day 19. More than a little concerned as these are about the size of a silkie. The hatch day is actually tomorrow and I have 7 so far that have hatched. This was a first hatch in my second incubator and wondering if possibly I did something wrong, though the other chicks are hatching and looking normal. Any hope for these two little ones?

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I believe that early hatching is often due to too-high temperatures during incubation. Since it is a new incubator, maybe your temps are off? Have you calibrated several thermometers/hygrometers to each other to test the temperature and humidity in the new incubator? Often the gauge on the incubator itself is inaccurate.

3. KenleighFarms

Aug 19, 2013
    yes I put in a thermometer that had been tested in another incubator for correct temps and only went by that one.

4. Farmer Viola

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    and the humidity?

5. KenleighFarms

Aug 19, 2013
    Yes it was the humidity =(. It was a new incubator with a humidity guage on the top with the temp. I never watch humidity as I have always used a hova bator and it is a little wonder. The reviews of the new unit said to ignore the gauges as they would be off, so I did and added water to it to the level of what I add to the hova bator. Today the humidity was showing almost 80. I don't know if that is a true reading or not. So upset with myself right now and I should have bought another hova bator and will be this friday. This one is going back. I lost a total of 18 eggs in lock down...I just checked the eggs for movement and noise...nothing. I am keeping them in till tomorrow just in case, but I have no hopes over them. Hard lesson to learn here.

6. Farmer Viola

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I'm so sorry dear *hugs* [​IMG] that would be so hard.. just remember that it is a learning experience :) mistakes only make us better and smarter!

I bought 2 hygrometers.. one of them is a black cube, and it sits inside my incubator. the other one has a probe, so just the probe goes inside the bator. plus the gauge on the bator itself (mine is always off!)

make sure to keep them in for an extra long time.. just in case... at least day 23-25. and there is also the float test you will find on this page:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by