Hatched on Day 29!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TX AG Lab Teacher, May 10, 2011.

1. TX AG Lab Teacher

TX AG Lab Teacher Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Houston
    Hello, I am a Science Lab teacher. I ordered some eggs from the poultry dept at Texas A&M. I started incubating (Little Giant) on April 11. I have been reading SO much on this site. All of last week I was so worried my eggs wouldn't hatch and began reading the many posts on this forum. Well, I am also very sick...I had to go to the emergency room on Friday (the 6th). I was planning on bringing the eggs home and giving them until day 28 (would have been Sunday) and then I was going to open them up to see what went wrong. Well, I got a call from my doctor and said I needed to get to an ER ASAP. So I had to leave the eggs in the incubator. I was also out yesterday (Monday). A fellow teacher was using my room to test in (its testing this week) and she texted me saying that one of my eggs started to hatch. I couldn't believe it. I told her not to "help" it and I told her to come to this website. She used her best judgement and told me the chick looked healthy and still had a long way to go and that we should wait until tomorrow. Well we both got to school the same time today and the chick was moving around in the incubator. He was all dry and his feathers fluffed out. He had 1 piece of egg shell on him that I took off. I am worried about him. He is seems very healthy...walking....peeping....however, he is really late.....I read on here that when they are this late they need to be given water and water should be put in some of the feed. He is not eating or drinking. I have a syringe that I have sucked up some of the very watery mush and tried to give some to him but he won't take it. Is he ok? What else do I need to do? I also read that they don't like to be alone. I am afraid none of the others will hatch. Also, he was kicking the other eggs around. Ahhhh!!!! What do I do?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. TX AG Lab Teacher

May 10, 2011
    Houston
    Oh my goodness! Right after I posted this he started picking at his food!!! YAY!!! What a strong little dude!

I am going to candle the rest right now...

If I see any movement in them do I keep them in there? Or should I start flaking?

3. TX AG Lab Teacher

May 10, 2011
    Houston
    Also do the chicks lay down ever? I find that sometimes he just lays there on his belly (the one that hatched) is this ok?

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:Haha yeah, that's how new chicks sleep. They just kind of randomly collapse on their bellies!

5. TX AG Lab Teacher

May 10, 2011
    Houston
    Thanks! I candled 4 of the remaining eggs. 1 no movement...flaked it....fully developed but dead. 1 looks like it is ab to hatch. But I really dont know what that looks like...i see movement in the air, pocket by large end especially when I tap on the egg, but no peeping...

6. TX AG Lab Teacher

May 10, 2011
    Houston
    what does it look like inside the egg if they are about to hatch?

7. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Yes even though its kinda scary. When I come down in the mroning to check on my chicks in the brooder, They are all collapsed on their belly and look dead. With a little sound they all pop right up! As for you day 29 egg. I am thinking maybe your temps were way to low in the incubator. I am not pro but I think others would agree. Eggs can start to develop at just 86 degrees!!! So that would be my guess. I have some late hatchers as well. So happy about your chick!

8. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    [​IMG]
    A fully developed chick will fill the egg with the exception of the air cell above. So, it should look dark when you candle it.

A chick will pip the air cell quite a while before pipping the egg shell and you will be able to see that when you candle the egg.

It will look like a darker shadow shape above the level of the aircell. It should be easy to hear the chick once it pipped the air cell, if you put your ear up to the egg [​IMG]

Carolyn

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  9. TX AG Lab Teacher

May 10, 2011
    Houston
    Thanks! I still have 6 living chicken eggs left! They are moving inside the egg and everything. They haven't pipped according to the description above. I don't know what to do. I don't want them to die!

The first chick, Mr. Peepers (the kids are calling him), is doing great. He is attached to me already. I can tell. I do not want to leave him here tonight. I am afraid the janitor might turn off his heat lamp or something....I know it will be fine, but I am just worried. I also read that they could drown in their water?! So I put some marbles in his water feeder so hopefully that wont happen.

Any tips/advice would be more than welcome!

10. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    [​IMG] It sounds like you are doing pretty good just on your own!!! WTG!! What temp is your incubator at and what humidity??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by