Hatched on New Year's Day! (And secret love child) *now w/pics!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by magicpigeon, Dec 31, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I'm getting the pics after the sun goes down a bit [​IMG] It's so hot right now I could have just gotten heatstroke and imagined the little chicks poking out of the Ma's fluffy butt. Out of 13 eggs, 4 have already hatched, 1 is a dud, 2 just pipped and the rest I have no idea [​IMG] Considering I was expecting all of my eggs to be stolen by my dog (She laid hers right in the middle of a spidery forest in my yard) I'm doing pretty well. Anyway, just before we left out partridge started laying. That explains one weird looking chick. But our black hen wasn't laying and only started 2 days ago. So how did I end up with a splash-y looking chick? It's got patches of black and white fluff like a cow, and hatched out of a white egg. I have no idea where it come from, or if it's even mine! :O It's definetely a silkie, but none of my laying hens has any black, not counting the partridge....Unless it was her...which I'm pretty sure it wasn't. [​IMG] Doesn't add up...

ETA: Here they are! There was a #5 hatching as I took the pics but I didn't want to disturb Ma. Just as I left, the top half of the shell was pushed off. I'm ...euphoric....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was the first to hatch! Also the biggest!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All four huddled up together in the 30 degree heat

[​IMG]

Dirty lookin' grey one [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just hatched! I'll dry up fast in the heat though [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

WOOT!!! Congrats!

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] I wasn't expecting a New Year's Day hatch. If I had I would've entered...never mind [​IMG] Looks like I've got 6 little fluffy butts now, re-counting. About 40% hatch rate so far [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Aha! I am wondering, as I wait for my chicks to show themselves from under my broody, will mama teach them to eat and drink from their chick-sized feeder and waterer? Or do i have to show them (and risk certain peril from mama hen)?? When will mama get up and walk around with the new chicks??
    Your babies are inspiring! Congrats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by