hatched out 2 EE chicks just over a week ago. . . . male or female guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snooptwomey, Feb 10, 2012.

1. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    [​IMG] Red feathers coming in on front of wings at shoulder
    [​IMG]

I am wondering what you all think gender might be, I guess just going off feather growth and coloring. Black one is 10 days old, brown one is 9 days old. Brown one growing way faster, but the black one is growing at a normal rate.

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Hmm....this is a bit tough.

Let's start with the brown one:
    -chipmunk pattern indicates female
    -faster feathering indicates female
    -red on wings indicates male
    However, those red feathers are coming in at only 2 weeks. Usually red isn't present at this age. Those red feathers you see may not be red; they may change to a different color as she ages.

Now the black:
    -slow feathering indicates male
    ...and that's about all I could get. Don't freak out about the feathering rate; it could simply be a runt or grow more slowly. It's a general sign, not absolute.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Too early to tell!

And "chipmunk pattern" = duckwing-based, not female. A duckwing EE can be sexed by feather pattern once the feathers come in. But right now, it's just too soon.

The solid black chick, you'll just have to wait for male traits or the absence of them as POL nears.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  4. snooptwomey

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    Thanks. I am hoping for females, dont need another EE roo. I want to add some variety and color to my flock on the hen side of the house. My roo is my avatar. I have 14 eggs in the incubator right now with 9 EE eggs from my roo and my red stars(I might keep one pullet from these), 2 blue laced red wyandottes(I want a pullet from these), 2 Auburn Javas(Kinda hoping for a male and female with as rare as these are), and 1 silver laced wyandotte(if a pullet I am keeping), and next week I am picking up 2 Jersey Giant day old chicks locally, one blue, one either black or splash.
    These 2 EE chicks came from eggs from Celtic Oaks Farm in Florida, with a decent amount of possible hen and rooster EE and Ameracauna combinations that these chicks came from, so no clue on the definate parents coloring. This is from the email Shellie from Celtic Oaks farm sent me a few weeks ago. . .

"Since they are EE, the colors can be almost anything really. However we have three EE Roos, one is blue and orange one is white and blue/silver and one is black and red (this one is HUGE). There is also a black Ameracuana split for Lavender roo with them. The hens are Lav Ameracuana, blue EE, white and cream EE, white and orange EE, black split for Lav Ameracuana, and the typical duck wing pattern EE hens. "

So there is NO telling what I got lol I do think that the black one will be a black and lav or grey by the colors I see right now. Hardly any tail feathers growing in on the black one too. I realize that since they are both from totally diff breeds mixed and diff bloodlines that they are going to cause size and growth rate to be diff anyway. I just wish there was an easy way to tell the sex(dont we all!! lol ) By going off feather sexing, these are both pullets, but I have no clue what breeds that even works on.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Well, all of my EE chicks were fast-feathering (including the cockerel). My Speckled Sussex was SLOOOOOOOOOOOW compared to the rest and she's definitely female. So, I wouldn't put too much stock in rate of feathering since this wasn't a controlled crossing situation.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    6 weeks. Wait about 6 weeks and almost any EE can be sexed by color.

1 person likes this.
  7. snooptwomey

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    So really, its just the waiting game I guess :) No biggie, not like I am going to ditch the chick right now if I knew it was a cockerel, they are both very friendly, love being held, and entertain each other. And these were the only 2 to hatch from my very first hatch attempt.

8. snooptwomey

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    When you mention "controlled crossing", will this assist me with the 9 eggs I have in my incubator that are from my roo, and 2 sex link hens? will color make it easy to tell since I know what the roo and hens look like?

9. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I meant breeding a fast-feathering male to a slow-feathering female. That's how the hatcheries generate chicks that can be sexed by how quickly they feather. SO, my fast-feathering EE male (probably inherited the trait from a Leghorn) bred to my slow-feathering Sussex female may very well generate feather-sexable chicks where the males feather slowly (having inherited that trait from their mother) and the females do not. Make sense?

Here, I found a decent article about it: http://www.thai-farm.com/feather-sexing-chickens/

And no, breeding sex-link hens does not result in sex-linked chicks. It's a first-generation only crossing.

10. snooptwomey

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    I know a guy on his 3rd generation in sex links, and they are still hatching as sex links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by