hatched out chick in a bucket this morning!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bethsplace, Sep 15, 2009.

1. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    I had 8 eggs I gave 5 to my cochan mix who was sitting. and put the other 3 in a bucket made into a incubator. I took a small bucket and put a cloth diaper in bottom with the humidity dial from my humidifier and kept it moist and used a shop light with a 60 watt bulb for warmth well after the first week we candled and saw that 2 were growing and and this past week when we candled them all I could see was the air sac well I panicked the rest of the egg was dark I was afraid they died but left them to see if they would hatch and one did this morning about 11:30 I was so excited [​IMG] it is peeping away look healthy! that give whole new meaning to the term "bucket of chicken"[​IMG]:

2. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    Congrats now I want to try!![​IMG]

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

congratulation [​IMG]

and please post the pics [​IMG]

4. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    I'd love to see the pictures also!

5. bethsplace

Aug 1, 2009
    I will put some pic's this evening of the incubator and chick

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Your doing better in your bucket than I am with my Hovabator [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!!! I think you should name it bucket head. [​IMG]

8. bethsplace

Aug 1, 2009
    well thats a good name I put it out with Ms. Peeps who is sitting on the rest of the eggs. she hatched out two they all are black with yellow bellies and a yellow dot on the back of their heads. they may be dominquers I know I spelled that wrong is that what their chicks look like? does anybody know.?

9. bethsplace

Aug 1, 2009
    well I now have 5 dominique chicks I hatched out 2 in my bucket incubator and Ms. Peeps hatched out 3. she decided to quit sitting on the last 2 eggs thats ok they turned out bad, so she just paid attention to the babies its so neat how she calls them to eat and takes care of them what a good mama:D the bucket incubator was just a regular 1 1/2 gal bucket then I set a plate covered with a cloth baby diaper( just handy) over plate in the bucket set on top of a container to raise it up. then kept it moist and kept a 60 watt bulb in a round shop light over top of it . I tryed using a thermator but that didnt work so I would test the temp with my hand when I would bring in an egg from one of the other girls and learned just where to place the bucket to keep it that temp then I turned the eggs and the bucket 3 times a day. well it worried my but I hatched 2 out of 3 eggs in it! it was fun but tense:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by