Hatched silkie with tumor on wing!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelaykay, Dec 1, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    One of the pips had not made progress for over 12 hrs. I was worried that it had gotten stuck. (have an lg and have had issues with humidity) I removed the top part of tje shell and noticed that there was a soft pertrusion pushing up into the air space. The shell was litterally full with a very tiny air pocket. I figured the chick was bottom up and it was the yolk sac that had not absorbed. I applied warm water to keep the membrane from drying out and placed it back in the bator for a few more hrs. Checked again no progress. I figured I can investigate or just let natire take its course. Well the licensed vet tech in me got the better and when the vessels in the membrane were no longer pulsing I removed the membrane allowing tje chick to sit up. When it did the (mass) moved as well and I was able to actually see what was going on. The chicks wing has a mass or cyst on it! I have never seen this before. I placed tje nabu back in tje bator to warm still sitting on the shell. I plan on watching it to see if it can get itself out or what. Has anyone ever heard of this. Are you thing invubation issue or birth defect?

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Can you take a pic?

3. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    I was going to try and wait till it came out of the shell but maybe I can snap one through the incubator window....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  4. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    It isnt the best quality photo but you can see the (mass) where the chicks shoulder should be. It looks as though it is fluid filled

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I see it. I know sometimes they are so squeezed in their and their skin is so thin, it can look like weird things. Maybe see how it looks once it's out?

I almost freaked when my NN started to emerge....I didn't realize they are more like NN and mostly naked bodies too.

6. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    He looks really swollen like he was getting super squashed in the shell. He is way bigger/puffier then the one that just hatchedbeside him and the came out eggs that we pretty much the same size. If he gets out of the shell I will take another picture

7. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I've had chicks hatch out with what you are talking about. They absorbed it within a week and were fine. I'm not sure what caused it, but I have never seen it in any chicks my hens hatched out only in ones hatched from the incubator.

8. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Is the top of his head swollen?

9. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Yes, everything looks swollen even around his eyes. I wonder if he is retaining fluid. I had really high humidity spikes and drops for a few days it was goinf from 93 to 50. It was awful!.freakin lg!

10. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    The fluid like swelling on jis shoulder is actually gone now! But he still looks puffy. Poor guy.,i jave almost a dozen eggs that have not piped. I bet they drowned:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by