hatched some ducks, now they are not laying anymore

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sprouticus, Aug 27, 2013.

1. sprouticus

sprouticus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    ok, so last summer I bought one indian runner duck and one runner drake. also 4 Cayuga ducks, and one Cayuga/ indian runner cross duck. The cross and the indian runner started laying last fall, and this spring, the cayugas joined them. for a couple months we were getting 6 eggs a day...way more than we need. We decided to see if they would go broody and stopped collecting for a while. One of the cayugas and the cross did go broody, and last month our eggs hatched. Sadly, we lost a few babies, but we still have 7 babies left, 6 adult ducks, and 1 adult drake. Our egg production slowed after we stopped collecting, and as of 2 weeks ago, completely stopped. I know cayugas mostly lay in the summer, but my cross and runner started laying even later in the season than this last year. How can I jump start their egg production again?? My wife just had to purchase chicken eggs...lol.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The best thing I can think of is keep everyone healthy, content, and safe, and let their systems cycle through. Each year has been different for us. The runners started laying at 16 to 20 weeks, kept it up for 14 to 16 months (!) then rested a couple, then laid for ten months, then rested two or three months, then laid for a year or so, then rested for five months. That last rest was probably initiated early by the introduction of a drake to the flock, and stress levels were through the roof, in spite of my best efforts.

The trend here seems to be laying, brooding (for a few of mine), molting, resting, laying.

3. CHICKENLOVE101

CHICKENLOVE101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    My suggestion is for you to consider the weather. If its slowly starting o get a little colder chickens stop laying eggs. I'm not sure if it's the same case aith ducks, espicially the types you have. I've only had two white pekin duck (sorry, I know I didn't spell that, not sure how to).

I hope that helped some, good luck,
    Christine

4. sprouticus

sprouticus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012

i'm still learning this...I guess I've had my ducks for about a year now. I had 1 female indian runner, 4 female cayugas, 1 female cross (Cayuga and runner), and one drake runner....until the hatch. I have actually lost a few babies, not sure why. and that's another issue. my whole reason for having the ducks is the eggs.....havn't had an egg in over a month now, and my female and runner and the cross used to give me an egg each pretty much every day, I will wait a bit and see if they start up again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by