Hatched some valley quail. So now what?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dogfish, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Setting up my expandable brooder with the 2'x3' section padded with paper towels on the ground.

Grinding up food when I get home. (27% game bird starter is all I can get) Loading up the feeder and sprinkling some on the ground around it so they can find it easier.

Setting up the quail waterer with marbles and coins in it so they find the water.

Room temp will be 75+, and a 250W heat lamp for them just like I did for all previous batches with a spot for them to escape to out of the glare.

So here are my questions.

1. When can I take them out of the incubator? They just began hatching about 2 hours ago. I had 16 viable eggs by my count, and a few questionable ones, so assume 16 have hatched and there will be no more arrivals.

2. How long do they stay in the brooder before they move outside to their grow-out pen? 4-6-8 weeks?

3. When are they considered mature for release for bird dog training? 8-10 weeks?

I'll keep 6 for next year's brood stock, two trios. The rest are for training a new pup.

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You can take them out as soon as they're dry. They need to stay in the brooder for about 5 weeks, but maybee a little sooner if it is warm outside. I would wait until about 14 - 16 weeks until you train a dog with them. Good luck!

3. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    10 so far.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Do You Have The Proper Release Permits?

Check Your Fish And Game Dept And Make Sure You Have What You Need To Do This Legally--- Just A Friendly Warning [​IMG]

You May Not Need Anything At All, Depends On Your State. I Do Recommend Calling Them Yourself And Hearing The Proper Response From Them As They Will Be The Ones Issueing Any Citations Or Taking You Into Custody If It Is Illegal In Your Area (dont Trust What Other Folks Tell You--- Believe Me When Jonny Law Shows Up They Wont Be There [​IMG] )

5. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Already called WDFW. Can release if my intent is to hunt. Can't release just to have pretty birds. Can keep them confined and breed.

Thanks.

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sweet Sounds Like Your Good To Go. For Best Training I Would Use Once They Reach Full Size, Tho A Few Juvies Early On May Be A Good Start [​IMG]

Say, You Dont Happen To Have A Call Back Trap Do You? May Be Helpful With Recycling So Jr Gets Even More Live Bird Training.... Or May Help Increase The Numbers You Have For Breeding Stock Next Year? 2 Trios Wont Make Alot Of Eggs.

7. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Well, It looks like I'll be raising another batch. Of the 16 eggs I set aside from the 37 that hit the incubator, and the other questionable ones that I left in, I had 10 hatch, looks like two are dead, and I haven't seen any more movement from the eggs, or pips that I can see from outside the brooder. I'll let them go for a few more hours and then transfer the surviving chicks to the brooder.

Happy and sad.

The good thing is that the eggs I'll be getting will cost me the same price, a pint of good whiskey and some shipping. Here's to hoping I get a better hatch next time.

8. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Placed the 8 survivors and put them in the brooder.
    [​IMG]
    Dismal hatch percentage. 8/36. Food has been ground in our old Krups grinder. They are TINY.

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:AT TODAY'S PRICES AND DEPENDING ON THE PINT OF WHISKEY THOSE MIGHT BE AWFUL EXPENSIVE QUAIL [​IMG]

THEY ARE CUTE LIL BOOGERZ THO...

10. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    $25 for the Makers and the shipping, so just about $3.13/bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by