Hatched three quail, one is just not looking good

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jerseygirl1, Nov 6, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I test-hatched some of my own coturnix eggs a few weeks ago, and all three seemed to be doing well, or so I thought. One poor little guy seems like he is jsut not thriving at all. He is going steadily downhill, losing weight and all fluffed up - so I separated him today, and he just keeps falling over and just not at all normal. They are getting vitamins in their water and medicated starter food. Any clue what could have happened? I doubt Marek's, but I'm thinking maybe he ate a wood shaving or something? They are not outside, they are in a reptile tank for a brooder in my spare room
    Thanks

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I do not recommend feeding medicated food AND vitamins in the water to your quail. That is just asking for an overdose to be honest.

Also, I do not add any vitamins in the water. The birds do not need it. Unmedicated Gamebird crumbles is the best for feed.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I would think that also, except that up until the littel guy got sick, he was drinking only regular water; I used the vitamin and electrolytes after he showed symptoms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by