Hatched TINY welsummer chick... Normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fshinggrl, Jun 5, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I did not quite know where to post this, so if it is in the wrong spot, let me know and move it mods! [​IMG]

I bought some welsummer eggs back in April. Out of 14, 3 hatched out (my fault for low hatch rate I am sure). They appeared to be 3 little cockerels. Well, one of them just stopped growing. The breeder said there is no way they are something other than welsummers. Eggs were all dark brown. Is there a reason "he" is so small? They are hatchmates, so they are the same age. I do not know if this was the last one to hatch and I had to help a little bit... but the two definite cockerels are the same size, just this one is tiny. All 3 of them are 6 weeks old. Take a peek...
    [​IMG]
    Here he is alone. Is there any confirmation that he is indeed a he at this point? The other two have had big combs for a while now. Sorry about the blur.
    [​IMG]
    They are moving out to the big coop today.. all 11 of my chicks who are 6 weeks or more. (4 more inside until they get bigger - they are only 2 weeks old)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I think that one looks like a girl. As far as being smaller I dont know. I have right now 3 that hatched under my broody in April. They are about 6 weeks old now and the little boy is as small as my 4 week olds. The girls are hugh compared to him. He was smaller than his brothers too. They have been rehomed. Last year I bought 6 10 day olds. They were barred rock and black sex link but at the time was told all barred rocks. Penguin was alot smaller than everyone else. For awhile I though maybe he was bantam. But he caught up and now he is a year old and the best rooster. The small one I have now is his son.

3. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Sheila, you really think it looks like a girl? I realize these are different parents but look at the 4 girls i have who are now only 2 weeks old. Notice the definite outlined v on the top of their heads and the eyeliner. The small chick has neither. Thanks for the hope! Please excuse the red lighting.
    [​IMG]

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I know thw V looks off but that one doesnt have the comb the other does and even though my boy is smaller he still has a big comb. I know mine is a BR but they are both straight combs, so that ones lack of comb makes me think girl. The persons to ask are Ewe Sheep or Opa. They know alot about Welsummers. PM Ewe with that picture. I am sure she will know.

5. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Yes, I've been told that I have 2 cockerels and a pullet before but I wasn't believing it. Perhaps I am now. Thanks! I am more concerned with the size of 'her.' I do not understand why she'd be so much smaller. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by