Hatched Today enlarged fluid belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chloeonz, Feb 12, 2019.

1. chloeonz

chloeonz Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Hi, our hen has been sitting on 6 eggs. 3 hatched yesterday perfectly while one struggled. Today the struggled one was out, dried and wobbling about. I picked it up and saw its huge belly - i assume Mushy Belly is a better term, is going on. Chick is struggling around but otherwise looks good. I have seen it try to eat, but not drink the few times ive checked in. Mama now sitting over them.
    Can I help the baby? We live in new zealand so dont have benadine. I assume iodine? Is tomorrow too late to help? It also had some dirt stuck in belly button but didn’t want to make things worse.
    Is it worth trying to save? The other 3 are doing great. One egg still unhatched and one was crushed dead while hatching :(

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC. Sometimes chicks will hatch with huge bellies and be fine, other time they will have yolk sac infections. Has the chick pooped yet?

3. The Farmers' Daughter

The Farmers' Daughter Crossing the Road

Aug 2, 2017
    Darwell Alberta
    Hi @chloeonz

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but personally, I would just leave it. Definitely leave the "belly button " alone. It will fall off on its own.

I've heard many say, and I've learned from experience, that if a chick has had problems hatching or is ill, chances are that it won't thrive, no matter what you do. Either that or it will correct itself, which is a much better outcome.

casportpony likes this.
  4. chloeonz

chloeonz Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Thanks for your reply, I can’t tell yet (or should i?) i saw a piece of chick starter crumble stuck on the belly button opening as it was sitting in the food with the others. It’s reallly wobbly because it has this huge thing between its poor legs :( i didn’t touch it though as i needed to do my research (and ask you guys) first. Thank you!

casportpony likes this.
  5. chloeonz

chloeonz Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    I was thinking the same thing, I was reading a similar thread on here and the chick she helped ended up dying 5 months later, so will just have to let it be. The belly button looked like some chick starter crumbs it was sitting on...or is that its belly button, does it matter if theres crumbs stuck to the button? I didn’t touch it

casportpony likes this.
  6. The Farmers' Daughter

Aug 2, 2017
    Darwell Alberta
    How's the chick doing?

chloeonz and casportpony like this.
  7. chloeonz

chloeonz Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Much better thank you, definitely the runt of the litter but i think she’s doing better. Not wobbling now, and eating and drinking fine but still likes to stand off by herself or last out from under mum if she clucks for food.
    She follows mum and has good alert reflexes, so i take that as a good sign

8. chloeonz

chloeonz Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    Thanks for checking in

9. The Farmers' Daughter

Aug 2, 2017
    Darwell Alberta
    Has the swelling gone down?

10. chloeonz

chloeonz Chirping

Feb 12, 2019
    To
    To be honest I haven’t checked, I have tried not to touch it. I will check tomorrow

The Farmers' Daughter likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: