Hatched Today! What to feed and immunize?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenblossom, Sep 24, 2012.

1. jenblossom

jenblossom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    Two broody hens hatched out three eggs today! Yay! (I actually skipped around the yard!) If I give the babies Chic Medicated Starter Feed, can the mama hens eat that, too? Or, do I have to feed them separately? Do the babies need a medication in their water? What about Marek's disease? Thank you in advance for any help. I need it!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on the chicks! Mom can eat the medicated starter, don't worry. I put some Apple Cider Vinegar in their water (4-5 tablespoons per gallon water) to give the chicks a healthy start and prevent pasty butt. It's good for the hens too! As for Marek's vaccine... I saw thread on it somewhere. I'll have a look...

Here it is: Mareks vaccine

3. jenblossom

Oct 19, 2011
  4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've lost count how many chicks we've hatched and I still get exited about them. Enjoy!

5. jenblossom

Oct 19, 2011
    I used the apple cider vinegar and Mama and chicks are doing great! Thanks so much!

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's good stuff, ACV. I wish I started using it sooner with my flock. It's recommended that you give it to your flock for one week each month, like the first week of the month. Just to give your hens a nice little boost. I use that and now and then I'll chop up some Aloe and put that in their water as well. Aloe is full of good stuff too. Here's a thread on ACV if you want to read more about it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41321&p=1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by