Hatched two turkeys, 9 weeks old now..boys or girls? Pics!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by msgenie516, Dec 4, 2008.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I know absolutely nothing about turkeys but someone gave my hubby 4 turkey eggs, and we wound up with 2 turkeys hatching. Unfortunately, one died in the shell and the other egg never developed, probably not fertile.

The first thing I did was do a lot of research on how to raise poults, which was very helpful.

This has been quite a learning experience, as we had to figure out how to make them eat. Getting the food was not a problem, as our local Agway stocks turkey starter.

We had to feed them with our fingers many times a day (and dipped their beaks in the water to make them drink). We also put shiny objects (stainless steel nuts and marbles) in their food and water to encourage them to peck. I thought round, shiny balls from ball bearings would be great but the hardware store had only chrome plated ones and they immediately oxidized in the water, so I removed them.

It was a challenge at first but now they're eating us out of house and home at 9 weeks! I probably shouldn't, but I just started mixing game bird food with the starter, as I cannot seem to find turkey grower anywhere.

Now I'm trying to figure out if we have hens or toms or one of each. Is there anything I should look for? I did notice that the turkey in the last picture has a larger skin growth under its chin. I know there is a name for this, but I can't think of it.

I am hoping I can keep these two as pets but if it doesn't work out, I have someone with lots of acreage that would love to take them. And they don't eat their birds either, so that makes me feel better. They are so tame and friendly that they will make great pets!

I was told that they are Black Spanish turkeys, but I don't know how accurate that is.

We have been keeping them indoors because it is very cold out and I'm afraid, because of their young age, that letting them out at this time of year may not be a good idea. Anyone have any thoughts on that? There is a door in the coop that leads to a fenced-in outdoor area that I could use when it is safe to let them out.

Thanks for any help! Genie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

It is hard to tell from your pics, but the hair on the head looks like that of a hen, jakes will have bald head.

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Yes, they are black spanish turkeys. Black spanish can get quite large, especially the toms! they are very pretty! If I had to guess at this age, I believe they both look like toms. Is the photos of both of them or just 1? The snood looks enlarged and I see the beginnings of some caruncles on the neck. here is a pic of my tom and if you notice in the background, a black hen, who is full grown and see she has a very small snood and no caruncles on the neck.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Hey MODS, did you see that awesome BYC zip up hoodie Genie is sporting in those pictures!!!! WOW great advertisement!!!

5. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    What cute turkeys! I love their faces.

6. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Yes, they are Black Spanish turkeys, and quite nice ones at that. At this early age, I think that they are too young to sex. I have raised them for many years, and they are quite slow to mature. You will know for sure in a couple of months. Very nice birds. Good luck!

7. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I think you got yourself a fine pair of Black Spanish hens. The head on the bird you are holding looks very blue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by