Hatcher made - quick question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grindlefamily, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    Okay -

I made Miss Prissy's incubator - thank you by the way! - and I had one question - do you attach the thermostat to the cooler or do you just set it on the table next to it??

Okay question #2 -

My day 18 is tomorrow at 4 pm. I'm going to be away all day tomorrow and won't be back till very late - should I move them to the hatcher tonight? (I can stay up late) or wait till Sat morning???

Thanks

Louella

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    You MUST put it inside the incubator/hatcher. Otherwise it won't be able to tell what the temp is to be able to turn the light off and on. Another reminder about mounting it inside the incubator/hatcher. You can't put it tight up against the inside. You need something behind it to hold it away from the side because the sensor hole is in the back. Look on the backside of the thermostat and you'll notice a hole in the center (if you used the thermostat she recommended). I made the mistake of bolting it on tight and was wondering why it wouldn't turn off until it got very hot. Then I realized that the sensor was on the back and used a springy piece of metal to hold it away from the side and...PRESTO! Works like a charm now.

I would go ahead and put them in tomorrow morning before you leave and turn up the humidity rather than wait until late at night or the next morning. Won't hurt a thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  3. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    Thank you! I did figure out the thermostat thing (LOL I stood there for a minute and went DUH how's it going to register the temp if it is outside - stupid!)

Okay I will get the eggs in early in the am - still regulating as my thermometer crapped out (brand new - but won't change off of 108 LOL)

so that give me time to regulate it.

Louella

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by