Hatcher wiring...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jossanne, Mar 25, 2009.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'm trying to set up a still air hatcher/incubator. I have a ceiling light kit for a 60w bulb and a wafer thermostat and switch. I know nothing about wiring, and haven't found anything on here that helps.

I have an electrical cord with a brown wire (hot), a blue wire (neutral) and a yellow/green wire (earth ground). I have a light with a black wire and a white wire. The thermostat switch has two blue wires.

So I hooked up a blue thermostat wire with a white light wire and a blue cord wire. I connected the other blue thermostat wire with the brown cord wire and the black light wire. I used the little plastic twist-on things to connect the wires.

When I plugged it in, it immediately shot out smoke and fizzing sounds, so I unplugged it. Where did I go wrong? Have I ruined my components? How do I wire them together to make it work?

Thanks!

2. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
  3. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

you may have just burnt your thermostat up.

4. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:How do I tell?

5. killer

you got a ohm meter?

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

7. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    No ohm meter. I re-wired it like the diagram in the above link, and nothing happened. I wonder if it's because the thermostat is dead. I tightened the screw until it clicked, and loosened it again and the light never came on.

8. killer

switch is bad now you let the magic smoke out of it. it should have came on. you must have wired it where it was a dead short when you plug it up. and it burnt the contacts in the switch.

9. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:That's what I was afraid of, darn it! At least I'm not too desperate for an incubator yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by