Hatcher???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beakkeeper, Dec 15, 2008.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Do you need to move the chicks from the incubator to the hatcher? or can they just hatch in the bator?

If you have them incubating in egg cartons, what modifications do you need on the egg cartons?

Do they just hatch in the cartons, or incubate in there too?

These are the things I think about when I can't sleep... lol

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Chickens can hatch in the incubator as long as you up the humidity to 65-75%. You should take them out of the cartons and lay them on their sides on Day 18 when you stop turning them.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    See this thread Diference in incubator and hatcher ? Just search the word hatcher.

4. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Good luck with hatching your eggs. [​IMG]

5. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have heard that you can hatch them in the cartons. Then they will not roll around and hit the other eggs and disturb them. I have not tried it before, but I am on my up coming hatch.

6. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I just cut the sides of the carton a little lower. I have used cartons for all my hatches and it has worked well. Makes much less mess, although sometimes they pop everything out of the carton when they hatch. This way they arent rolling into each other. Also, your incubator will work fine as a hatcher. Where you have problems is when you have another batch of eggs in the incubator due at a different time. Since you need to raise your humidity the last 3 days, if you have other eggs due at a different time the humidity will be too high for them. Also, more likely to get the later hatch contaminated with bacteria. Good Luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by