Hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SED, Apr 6, 2011.

1. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    I have a Dickey incubator with 3 trays and a hatching drawer. I am setting a tray (96 eggs) per week and would like to know if it would be okay to have a rotation of 2 weeks being turned and 1 week in the hatcher. Or do the eggs need to be turned for those extra 3-4 days? Thanks! Scott

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:the eggs might do ok with your plan..

what is the reason you do not want to put them into the hatchng drawer for only the last 3 days ??

3. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Quote:the eggs might do ok with your plan..

what is the reason you do not want to put them into the hatchng drawer for only the last 3 days ??

I need the room for new eggs. I am putting around 100 eggs in the incubator every 7 days so I need to rotate a tray of them out and into the hatcher every week.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    You should still be able to do that with the shorter time in the hatching tray, no?

If your hatching tray is the same size as the sportsman, it will hold only about 70 eggs..

what is going to happen, is you are going to run out of hatching room when the later eggs are due..

You realize that just because they are in the hatching tray, they will not hatch until the 21 days are up.. and then there are the late hatchers to consider.. at 25 days you might still have some eggs hatching..

I know you have figured this all out on paper, I am telling you about real life..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by