hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UndergroundQuailRoad, Nov 29, 2012.

1. UndergroundQuailRoad

UndergroundQuailRoad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    What do people typically use for a hatcher when doing staggered hatches in a cabinet? I have seen the cabinet hatchers, but they seem like more space than I need.

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    I have two Genesis 1588 Hovobators. I use one for hatching and one for incubation. You could use one of those for staggered hatches if you kept the number per hatch at about 40.

3. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    I make small cabinet hatchers. A two drawer will hold about 72 large chicken eggs. Small enough to sit on top of a sportman sized incubator.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. UndergroundQuailRoad

UndergroundQuailRoad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Hatch Craft- that is a very nice little hatcher! Is what type of heat/moisture control does it have? Are the drawers lined or easily removed and swapped?

Ron - I think I want to avoid styrofoam since I would prefer something that is quick and easy for cleaning between hatches.

5. HatchCraft

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    This unit has a wafer thermostat . The usual water pan, adjusting humidity level by adjusting surface area. Drawers slide out. They have solid bottoms lined with a layer of paper towel under a layer of rubber shelf liner. It all lifts out after the hatch. I wash the shelf liner and throw away the paper towel. Wipe drawer out with a clorox wipe. Box and drawers sealed with multiple coats of urethane.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Great CRAFTSMANSHIP!!!

7. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    X2! Very nice. [​IMG]

Which begs the question - How much deniro do you get for one of those small cabinet hatchers? [​IMG]

8. HatchCraft

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    As pictured,$250 plus shipping.

9. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I really like that.... I might have to place an order for one. It's beautiful. - Do you build cabinets for a living? Even if you weren't using it, it would make a great conversation piece!

Do you have any idea about the hatch rate?

10. HatchCraft

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    I'm not a cabinet maker. I do custom wood working and finish carpentry among other things. A strong interest in poultry and incubation led me to design and build incubators . Customers report very satisfactory hatch rates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by