1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DulcyDoll, Sep 14, 2008.

1. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Ok so i have read many posts about incubating eggs, and some of you have mentioned that (i think) 3 days before they are to hatch you place them in a "hatcher"? What is it? When i had my hovabator, i left them in it until they were dry and fluffy, then straight into the brooder, but now with the wine cooler there isn't as much floor space as the hovabator, so i am curious as to what you call your "hatcher" Pictures/descriptions would be awesome. Thanks in advance

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My hatcher is just an incubator without a turner in it. If your eggs are all due to hatch at the same time you don't need a seperate hatcher. I usually have eggs due on different days in the same incubator so I take the ones due to hatch out on the bator and put them in the hatcher.

3. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Ok [​IMG] Thanks for the quick response! I wasn't sure if it was a more intense brooder that kept steady heat, or what lol.. I like to make things overcomplicated!

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

and it says to remove them but we have had an oopsey and had a little chick in an empty egg cup waiting for us to retrieve him. Egg shell was in one cup and he was in the next cup over! Just a chirping and waiting with his little flufy butt sitting in the cup. Guineas hatch 25-28 days and it was day 25 and we were going to take them out that evening. We were lucky that he did not get stuck in between the turner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by