Hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newcanaanchicks, Mar 9, 2015.

1. newcanaanchicks

newcanaanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    New Canaan,CT
    Looking for a hatchery. Will be incubating ducks and chickens together but would like to move the chickens out of incubator into a hatchery. Anyone use an easy to clean and inexpensive hatchery? Using Brinsea incubator. I do know that an incubator is also a hatchery but as I stated I am incubating different species.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    A good share of people that switch their eggs from "incubator" to "hatcher" just use a second incubator like a cheaper Little Giant or such.

3. newcanaanchicks

Aug 6, 2014
    New Canaan,CT
    Right. Thats what I was looking for. Thank you.

4. minnehaha

minnehaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    I am doing a staggered hatch of 3, so I needed a second incubator for lock down/hatching. I picked up the cheapo styro foam forced air Little Giant 9300 with the digital temp guage, however, after a week of trying to get the temp stabilized I am taking it back to the store. This is the second one, the first was horrible too. My neighbor saved the day with an old Havobator 1602n still air. Totally easy, stabilized fast, lock down is today. They actually still sell that 1602n, it's the one with the wafer thermometer, and it's under $50.

I had been gone since I wrote the above stuff. I am back from the store and have already returned both incubators at once. Big R told me that they have had a few other people return the LG 9300 for the same reason as me, unstable temps. They are sending all of the returns back to the manufacturer as defective.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

YouTube Rush Lane Poultry. They've made dozens of "how to" videos on making a DYI incubator or hatcher.

My hatcher is simply an incubator, homemade, without any turning device as no turning is required.
    [​IMG]

6. newcanaanchicks

Aug 6, 2014
    New Canaan,CT
    Ok... Thank you everybody for the info!

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I've heard a lot of negative things about the LG 9300 and the next one up 1030 (or something like that..lol) I have an older model LG and I like it. Now that I found the perfect place for it once I get it regulated it holds pretty darn good. I guess if the heater goes on it, I won't be getting the newer models. Sounds as if they've made them worse.

8. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    The LG 9300 has a heater that is basically the housing for the fan, it does not have the big coils that encompass the whole inside like the older ones do. Here it is....and it is not good! Yep, the older ones are way better!!!
    [​IMG]

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That is a big difference!

10. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Absolute junk....I bought 2, yes 2, and both had the same problem! Miller manufacturer should be ashamed! I'm glad Big R refunded my money!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by