hatcheries and winter time shipping

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dinahmoe, Dec 1, 2010.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    this may have been covered before but what hatcheries refuse to ship in the winter?i remember last winter of all the horror stories of little chicks arriving dead.i would be more inclined to buy from a hatchery that did not put money over the the chicks.i know the weather is different arond the country but i think they should have a cut off date for winter shipping.
    it is the buyers responsibility as well as the hatchery.if the 2 parties would communicate more i think it would save lives.90% of the postal employes don't know, read or care what is in the box with 1000s' of boxes they handle daily.
    all i am saying is the hatcheries could just ask"what are the temps where you live?i think it is too cold to ship them right now.

this also applies when it is 110 in the summer.

ok my rant is over.i feel better now.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Hi Great questions and comments. I found out from our postal office that there are times when Georgia or any other state will issue a non ship or non receive policy. I was really surprised yesterday when birds I ordered were allowed in the state! Granted they were 6 weeks old, but still they had quite a chilly night to travel in. There is too much burden on the post office to make individual postal office decisions. And yes I agree that anyone shipping chicks should have their eye to weather conditions and be willing to say no to shipments. ANd hopefully buyers will understand and want that too.....

I just cannot get my own head and heart around the idea of shipping birds and babies. I'm so afraid for their health in transit and the stress it involves, our farm just doesn't ship. Maybe one day. I wish we had a car to car transit system of BYC'ers travelling the country to use. Well, have a blessed day. Nancy

3. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:thanks Nancy.

it was 28 here last night and i am out covering the windows in my adult chicken coop.i can't imagine being a chick(with no feathers)in a box in a cold truck.
    i do like the chicken run idea.i think i read a thread where one is trying to get started.i would definatley drive a ways to pick up my chicks and would offer to pick up someone elses if needed.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by