Hatcheries - How Come They Can't Sex Bantams?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k9lin, Apr 16, 2008.

1. k9lin

k9lin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Out of curiousty, how come most of the hatcheries (mypetchicken.com, says that they can) do not sex Bantams, and sell for Straight Run Only?

Thanks,
    Jenni

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I read in a post somewhere that it is because of their small size that sexing them by vents is unreliable. And they must not be able to sex them any other way, like feathers, etc.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please [​IMG]

3. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Although vent sexing can be unreliable, atleast it can give some level of certainty. Personally I believe it's because it's hatcheries way of getting rid of more roosters.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Couple of reasons:

1) Sexing is an expensive project unless you can do a lot of chicks.

2) Very hard to do on standards, doubly hard on bantams.

3) Lot of bantams chicks would never hold up to the sexing.

4) What would you do w/bantam roosters at that age except cull them. Lack of incentive to sex them.

5. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I have always assumed it was because they can't really sell the bantam males for food. Their size probably makes it difficult, and maybe therefore more expensive to have it done as well.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I am curious what the results are from MyPetChicken sexing bantams? I thought I heard from some folks that it was like buying straight run anyway. Maybe the bigger hatcheries figured they couldn't offer the service reliably and decided not to bother. It is deceiving to say they can sex them and you end up with a straight run anyway. I'm not saying that's always the case, but it would be interesting to hear some outcomes of sexed bantams from a hatchery.

Jody

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I just got five sexed bantums from MPC. I'll let you know what my ratio ends up being if that helps. GIve me a couple of months... [​IMG]

8. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I never thought about that...
    I know I asked my bantam's to be vaccinated and MPC said they are too small, and not safe.
    [​IMG]

9. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    I am curious what the results are from MyPetChicken sexing bantams?

I ordered 2 silkie bantams from MPC last year. One ended up being a roo. 50/50 LOL Not a very big sample size though. [​IMG]

10. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Quote:couple of months????? Send us the pictures someone will tell you when they are younger than that....we can't wait to see pictures,,even if we don't know sex. Show us the chicks!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by