Hatcheries Marked on Map- Where is your closest one?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by duckyfromoz, Apr 18, 2011.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I was interested to see just how many hatcheries there are in the USA. Living in Australia- we cant ship birds in the post and although we do have some large hatcheries- most are for commercial birds- eggs and meat. I started a map a while ago for Australia and with a little spare time on my hands late at night when I cant sleep well- I started plotting some of the hatcheries I have read about on here.

Its interesting to see that some areas are better covered than others. This is not yet finished as I have a few others I want to add- but the main ones I could find have been covered. I did try and stick to those that have websites so I could be sure that they do still operate. I have put a link to the website of those that have one so you can easily check on what breeds they have available.

I hope it may help some of you to find a hatchery closer to you than you thought they may be.

Map of Hatcheries

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    Thanks.... Good to know.

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I am about 30 miles from Cackle [​IMG]

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I like that, didn't realize Sandhill was so close

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm in South Carolina, long ways from any commercial hatcheries.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Ducky, you are spectacular in having done this! I'm nearest Estes, but as I have hundreds of birds, I don't use hatcheries.

What a great resource for others, though!

7. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Yup, just what I suspected [​IMG] I live right in the middle of hatchery row! As the song says, " I feel sorry for anyone who isn't me tonight" I am not a breeder, and don't care whether my birds meet any standards, so bring on the hatcheries! Love being an Iowan!!!
    [​IMG]

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Way the crow flies, Townline

Driving time, probably a toss up between Townline and Meyer

9. marceedee

marceedee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Cheney, WA
    Thanks For doing this! this is great! Dunlap near Boise, Idaho is the closest to me and it is about 400 miles! Um...but I think Murray McMurray is in IOWA not Idaho![​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ditto on the Murray McMurray comment - Iowa, not Idaho. If they were in Idaho I'd dislike them even more for the state of health my chicks were in that I got from them.

Now, Holderread, not sure if I'd consider them a "hatchery," so I'd say the nearest to me is thankfully pretty far away. (Welp)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by