1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatcheries near Portland,OR

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cluck1, Feb 27, 2009.

1. cluck1

cluck1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    I was just wandering if there was any hatcheries or breeders near Portland,OR

2. conradpdx

conradpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    On my couch
    Though not a hatchery, (if your just looking for a few) I got mine from the Foster Feed store (about 102th and SE Foster Road). They get their shipments on Fri. They get about 100 pullets every week, and some fryers. Though you gotta be quick, they sold out of the pullets by noon Saturday.

If you contact them, they will provide you with a shipping schedule of what they're getting week to week. I got me an 2 Americaunas, a Barred Rock, and a New Hampshire Red. All are in great health and are handsome looking birds.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Hubbard should work, right?

Lazy 54 Farm which bought Shanks several years ago. Shanks was around forever.

Steve

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    There are lots of feed stores around Portland. Some take reservations and some sell "first come first served". Some have just a few breeds to choose from and others have many to choose from. Most of them sell pullets instead of straight run. Most have multiple shipments coming in spread out over several weeks.

I suggest that you pickup a phone book and start calling the feed stores. It would be helpful to know what breeds you are looking for and approx. when you want them. I found all of the breeds, except one (Anacona), that I wanted arriving over a theee week period. (Most will arrive on Apr 8). I suspect I may have found an Anacona if I made a few more phone calls. You can ask what breeds are coming in, when they will arrive, they are pullets or straight run, cost, and if they also take reservations. I also asked what hatchery or breeder they were getting the chicks from. Some will tell you and some won't.

I currently have reservations for 12 in early April at the Wilco in Battle Ground Wa. They have a huge selection of breeds coming in. In addition I am probably going to get two or three others at another feed store in Portland that does not take reservations. I will take the morning off work that they are scheduled to arrive and get there a couple of hours early to make sure I get them. They have Delewares coming from Privett Hatchery. I have heard many good things about Privett Delewares.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by