hatcheries or breeders in Alabama? (ducky sky box pic)

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
i just recently moved to alabama along with my two indian runners. I just love having them around and have more time and space to add another duck to my flock. I'm still unsure of a breed, but am interested in black east indies or crested ducks, maybe a cayuga... however i am having the hardest time trying to locate where to purchase a new baby. i do NOT want to do shipping as my first little black runner i purchased died when the shipping took two days longer than expected. I'd like to pick one up the day they hatch.

So, does any one know of any hatchery/breeder of any of the above mentioned breeds anywhere in alabama? i'll travel to western georgia or even eastern louisiana, nw florida, or southern tennesee if i must. i know they won't be hnatching again until FEB but i am trying to get a head start on it. I'd be willing to pay more that what the ducklings are worth in the breeder is willing to deal with my request of being there when they hatch. thanks so much in advance guys!

BTW, any info would help even if it's just partcial. or perhaps you might be expecting in the spring depending on your flock? anything would help, thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! It seems the south isn't that popular of a place for raising ducks. I moved to Montgomery from Chicago this past summer, and had a hard time finding a breeder/hatchery in that area too.

Since the price of gas has dropped i don't mind driving a long distance if needed. I can easily do about 5 hours each way (it was a 14 hr drive to my new home with a week old runner in a specially made windshield "ducky skybox" coop for the trip! i'll post a pic)

I guess finding the right breed and a hatchery/breeder willing to meet my needs makes the task harder. I would like to be there for the hatch or very soon after to ensure a good imprint on me. I'd prefer a female if sexing is possible onsight, but it's not hugely important.

Ming Mei's Ducky Sky Box:

S7304630.jpg

During the 14 hour trip ming mei sat in her box above snuggly fit to the windshield of our moving van, and her carrier between our seats. she was about a week old here...

Last edited:
we did get a few strange looks from passers-by. Funny story: We stopped several times to eat along the way. Ming Mei was in her carrier and we didn't want to leave her in the car (esp since she quacked for us and it was hot) so we brought the carrier in with us where ever we went (she stayed in the carrier when we went in somewhere). We ate at a steak-n-shake and had no problem. They even brought her some tomatos and lettuce for lunch.

But, when we brought her into a Waffle house, the manager guy had a cow about it... He was yelling at me saying "I don't know where you come from but people don't keep ducks as pets and they don't bring them in restaurants!!" the poor waitress tried to ease the situation by saying we could leave her carrier outside, which we refused. I offered to just leave, but the manager said we could stay since they already started cooking our food (but moaned the whoe time)...

I couldn't believe it, i mean it was a WAFFLE HOUSE. If you've ever been to one it's like getting a really cheap waffle in a gas station bathroom. lol. We've brought her to a chinese place, the steak-n-shake, gas stations, walgreens, ect, no problem... But the scummy waffle house was all in uproar about it.

Back
Top Bottom