Hatcheries - Other than McMurray

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by fasbendera, Feb 11, 2009.

1. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I have been seeing so many beautiful chicken in everyone's pictures. Half of the birds I don't see anything even close in McMurray's catalog. It is a great catalog but if I wanted to expand is there another catalog of a good Hatchery I should be getting? I plan on rotating my birds every 3-4 years so I am getting chicks every year. My flock is for enjoyment and for eggs and next year will be the first year I will be eliminating some of the hens to make room for the younger ladies.

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I had great luck with Ideal. If you watch the banner ads in the top right corner of the screen you'll see a few that are fantastic. Mypetchicken.com, randall berkey (sp??), lebanon, are a few that come to mind. Also there are quite a few breeders right here!

3. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Try Cackle hatchery and also Ideal, or Hoover's Hatchery. They all have great healthy animals.

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i have had great luck with "IDEAL".. they have a crappy catologe, more like a price sheet.. unless you go to there web-site

very disappointed in McMurray the last few times i ordered from them.. their catologes are awesome but the rest of them is just "lacking"

5. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I had a very good experience with Ideal last year. Healthy chicks, grew up to be beautiful birds.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here is a pic of some of my McMurray "Rainbow Layers"

?Rainbow? Just brown eggs.

[​IMG]

And 11 of the 26 died within the first four days.

7. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Have you try Marti Poultry? They will send you a full color catalog free. I recomend them. They are a small hatchery in MS, with an excellent service.[​IMG]

8. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I think at one time or another I have ordered from most of the larger hatcheries but I definatley prefer Ideal over most. It all depends on what you are looking for. My first choice is usually buying local but after five or six orders from Ideal over the last couple years I have nothing but good things to say about them.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I've ordered thru Marti's too but its located in MO not MS. [​IMG]

10. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I had great experience with Cackle Hatchery and Whelp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by