Hatcheries= rough with baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 77horses, Mar 6, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I just watched a video on youtube about how chicks are hatched at hatcheries. They look healthy, but I can't help but notice how rough the day-old chicks are treated! They are just dropped and dumped off/onto conveyor belts, and when they are looked at to see whether they are male/female, they are just picked up by their wing, looked at, and then THROWN down a chute! It looks so rough for the poor babies! Doesn't it hurt them?
    Here's the link to the video:

Poor babies. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I doubt that they're handled as gently as most of us handle ours, but you also need to remember not to believe everything you see on youtube.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I know it looks rough, but if it really injured many of them they wouldn't do it that way...that would be cutting into their profits.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    large scale operations have always been a bit rough and fast. you should see vids of the places that handle birds to be eaten or egg layers you may never eat a chicken nugget again. It most likely not faked . The animals are a product not an animal to these people thats the big diffrence.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    The video is also for an extremely large scale operation sellign exclusively to mega farms raising commercial meat and eggs. these birds are not menat for and will never see private coops. Most of the hatcheries offeringa variety of breeds to hobbyists and small farmers are not mechanized at all.

6. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Ohhh trust me, I have seen those videos! [​IMG] [​IMG] Just another reason why I'm a proud Vegetarian! lol [​IMG]

7. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I can't watch online video due to slow dial-up but if it's the same video that most have been outraged by it came from the show "How It's Made" and is real. I don't think they tell you the name of the hatchery but it's a good bet it's in Canada since most of the How It's Made featured companies are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by