hatcheries sold out of some guineas for 2010

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by rhoda_bruce, Dec 23, 2009.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well my husband wanted to get some purple guineas next spring and I was shopping around online and discovered that if I wanted some, I better act quick. McMurray was sold out on all hatches for 2010 on some of their guineas......not all, but they are limited. So I quickly made an order with Cackle and I'm hoping I'm not too late. I wish all the hatcheries had a web-site like McMurray's. You know before you order it, if its available. I only have a few hatcheries on my favorites, but if anyone plans on ordering from them, I suggest you do ASAP.

2. ErieSpurs

ErieSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Elyria, OH
    Good to know. I'll be making my order to Meyer shortly.

If you have trouble getting them from Cackle, try Meyers. That's where I got my guineas. I ordered them and picked them up later that month.

3. ice329

ice329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    I cant imagine you wont be able to find some.... look on ebay when your ready... or ask me but I only have pearl and Pied Pied are the nicest in my book.... For the price of shipping I will send you a few when they start layin um.

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Too bad you don't live close!!! I have lavender guineas and have been selling keats! [​IMG] Good luck with your order!!!

5. rhoda_bruce

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    If I can't get them, I will shop around and if no luck, I will get some from a member by shipping or by purchasing hatching eggs. But I have always heard about poor results with shipping eggs. I personally would be fine with any color guinea, but I don't mind getting something my husband wants. He did, afterall, build me the best coop in town......probably the parish for that matter. I ordered 15 and I will see if they can ship them when I asked and go from there. He said if we had a plucker, we could have ordered more. I suggested we look for a plucker on E-bay, but really I don't mind plucking. ( I have a few roosters that need plucking now )But he still said that 15 is plenty to start with. He is right. I only want help in the garden and a supply of wild gamey birds from time to time.
    I am very optimistic about this.

6. rhoda_bruce

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well shipment date is June 2nd. I can't wait. We need to set them up with a small coop in the corner of the garden and I think I may have to protect my bees before I let the guineas go to work.
    But still, I would feel that the hatcheries are limited. I ordered in late December and can't get them until June. If my husband wouldn't have been set on purple, I would have just got some from some of you.
    I am anxious to see what they do in the garden. But I may be overly optimistic.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Chicken hatcheries will sell out of guineas quickly. There are hatcheries like the guinea farm just for guineas which usually don't sell out until really late in the year when they slow down laying.

8. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Quote:hahaha, I could actually visualise the guineas standing in front of the hive waiting! I do not have enough acreage to let my guineas free range.

9. Quote:I just received the "Guinea Farm" hand book for 2010. They have ALL the colors of Guineas and they also have "Jumbo" Guineas.

You can do a google search for them, they are in IA.

If you are going to order from Cackle you had BETTER do it quick. They sell out quickly because they sell to all the feed stores in their areas. The feed stores have been ordering more and more of their keets because the sell each and every one of them.

I got a few from a feed store a bit away from here and they are GREAT birds. I got a bunch of purples a few years ago and they are raising cane and running like banchies, healthy and happy.

If you think that you are going to have a problem order the French Guineas form Ideal. They are Great birds and Ideal is Nothing but professional.

10. RCROE

RCROE Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    FT.Payne AL.
    this byc user has some eggs and they maybe able to help you out and they are in your area chickenlittle32

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by