Hatcheries that sell sexed 1 day old button quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fawkes, May 8, 2011.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    I was wondering whether there are any hatcheries that will sex button quail babies? I want chicks since I want them to be very tame (I've raised button chicks before and they are very tame because I raised them since they hatched) but I need females for my male buttons. My males will not tolerate other males in their territory but they are lonely and even like each other (I have the tanks close together), just so long as they aren't on each other's territory.

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    None. [​IMG]

Buttons, for one, do not ship well AT ALL. They are so tiny and fragile, especially when born, that no one can ship them without incurring a 100% death rate. Also, you can't sex buttons when they are young like that, without risking severely screwing up their insides.

Not trying to rain on your parade. [​IMG] however, eggs and incubators work very well to get quick numbers. They will also equal out the cost of day old chicks.

Hope this helps!

3. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Aw, I was afraid that was the case. I goggled and wasn't able to find any, but thought someone here knew of one. I suppose I could get either eggs or get chicks from someone local, but I'll still have to sell any extras. If I just got the number I need (3-6) half of those would probably be males. Ugh. I would hate getting attached and then having to give them away. That would be one of the most difficult things for me to do. Its a shame males can't just get along.

I don't know button mutations very well, are there any mutations that are able to be visually sexed young? Or is there any chance that the new males would be compatible with each other? In my experience they have fought, but perhaps I didn't have the right female/male ratio?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Hi,

You are experiencing what nature is: Button quail are monagamous and are best in 1F/1M ratios

So my suggestion is hatching out more or waiting until someone has some female available. I only have males available for the time being so I can't help ya. [​IMG]

5. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Thats the problem- I want young chicks, like a day old, so i can raise them and they'll be tame. I don't think anyone has tame buttons.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    If you were near by, I would give you some chicks. Button quail are rarely that tame. Mine take mealworms from me and that's it. They have a defense mechanism that if held they lose feathers.

7. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Yeah, I know, but ever since they hatched I spent lots of time with them. So I guess they never knew to be afraid of me. Halo is super tame, he hangs out with me while i'm on my laptop or watching tv etc and he hops up in my hand to be taken out of his tank.

8. ppurv326

ppurv326 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Stevens Point
    See im looking to do that with Bobwhites, just two or so. Ive seen hand raised bobwhites that can become shoulder birds, and id love to raise a lil feathered friend sitting on my shoulder when im watching tv or listening to music or watever

9. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Quote:Thats cool, most people think it can't be done but if you spend a lot of time with them ever since they hatch its possible. They're very sweet little birds and fun to interact with (buttons I mean, no experience with bobwhites unfortunately)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by