Hatcheries

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Rocky Red, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Rocky Red

Rocky Red New Egg

Feb 9, 2009
    Does anyone have a favorite hatchery to purchase from? I've only used Murray McMurray. I know other who like Cackles. Who would you suggest? I do not buy show birds. Just layers and meat birds.

2. cat123

cat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    South Ga
    I like Ideal Poutry, but I have ordered from McMurray and cackle

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I like Meyer and Welp.
    Ideal has been okay.
    Never will I order from Xtreme again. That was the worst experience and horrid service. Ordered all pullets and half turned out to be roos and didn't get credited for them!

I have another order due in from Welp again this year. They have been really great.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I liked Welp. No DOA's, none died after a couple days either.

5. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I am partial to sterling meadows hatchery!!! heya TORI!!!![​IMG]

just bought from Ideal and had 15 chicks not make the trip. they instantly refunded money to me for the chicks that were lost.

6. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    I like Cackle. My mom works at a feed store and they sell chicks from Cackle every year, and out of the hundreds they usually only have about 1-2 birds die...
    But then again we do live kinda close [​IMG]

7. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i ordered from cackle my order ships in 2 weeks. so we will see how it goes. iv heard good things so far.

8. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
  9. McGeheesfarm

McGeheesfarm New Egg

Mar 17, 2009
    I had some problems with Estes Hatchery in Missouri, however I have had good luck with Ideal, although they have always been a bit pricey for me. I have had good luck repeatedly with Belt Hatchery in however they went up on thier prices as well. I have found that my local feed store is the best place to get chicks nowadays.

10. Rocky Red

Rocky Red New Egg

Feb 9, 2009
    I just put in an order with Cackle. I had good luck with McMurray last year, but just read some bad reviews about folks who bought Rhode Island Reds and they ended up having wierd twisted legs!

Since Rhode Island Reds are what I wanted to buy, I was leary. So we'll see what Cackle has to offer [​IMG] I'll share my experience as soon as my chicks arrive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by