Hatcheries?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by equinehugger3, Dec 15, 2010.

1. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    I'm going to be buying some Salmon Faverolles and I was wondering if My Pet Chicken was a reliable hatchery. I would buy from a BYCer but I can't find any with SF eggs OR chicks! I've never ordered eggs or chicks from a hatchery before... I don't want to buy too many chicks, so that's why I'm leaning toward MPC. I'm also not looking for show-qaulity birds, I just have them for pets, although that'd be a bonus if I could show. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Meyer Hatchery will give you your best shot at decent Favs. I've seen some nice girls from there. However...if you intend to show, you REALLY want to have a little patience and get eggs or chicks from a breeder if you can. This isn't the best time to year to be looking, but if you can hold out for just a couple of months, you won't be sorry. [​IMG]

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i ordered from MPC last year and was totally happy. and now my girls are 8mo. old and going strong! this year i'm ordering from Meyer, simply cuz MPC isn't taking orders yet, and i'm too impatient. plus, i wanted more EE, and i wanted them from a different hatchery so i can maybe get a different variety. both my EE lay the same color egg (light green) and i'm afraid that ALL EE from MPC will lay a lt green egg. i'm sure that's not true, but i'm a weirdo! but i think MPC "drop ships" from Meyer anyway. so what the heck, i'm just glad i have my order in and can look forward to my babies on march 1st.
    oh, and Meyer also has small orders too...just like MPC.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    CALL YOUR LOCAL FEED STORES - - - - One out of our 5 local feed stores will add any special orders onto their regular orders in the spring. When you do this - - - you don't have to order large quanities or pay for shipping. It is a GREAT WAY to go.

This past spring, I special ordered 2 speckled sussex and 2 partridge rocks pullets. They cost $2.50 - $3.25 each.
    It was Easy and Convienant . . .. .

Mine came from Ideal. Each feed store orders from their own hatchery, so yours could come from some where else [​IMG]

5. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Quote:I REALLY wish I could do that, but our only feed store is Farm 'n Fleet, and they don't have chicks... [​IMG]

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Really? Our Farm and Fleet has "chick days" in April and May. Ask around, I'd be suprised if you couldn't place an order in! They start to advertise in March.

7. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Quote:I've actually never looked in the spring [​IMG] .... I just looked on the website for "chicks" and there wasn't anything... What should I do to find out?

8. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    CALL and ASK if they will take special orders in the SPRING when they do their regular ordering . ..

They won't do any ordering now - - - but they may throw your special order in with their regular ones.

Make sure you talk to the manager - - - not the part timer that hasn't worked "chick days" before [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would call your local store and ask them. All of the feed stores around where I live carry chicks in the spring only. They don't list them on their websites. Good luck with your chicks. [​IMG]

10. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Thank you all!!! I will defiantly call them! Yay! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by