Hatcheries

Backwoods Chickens

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
I am looking for some hatcheries around Athens Georgia can anyone help me out Im trying to get started with chickens I have two hens but they wont lay eggs they are red shouldered Yokohamas do they lay eggs ?????

I did a quick search and found one in Douglasville Ga (I live in TX so dont know how close that is to you) Its called www.littlegemhatchery.com . I order mine from ideal because they are only a few hours from me and I figure the little fuzz butts have a better chance being shipped... you can also check out your local Tractor Supply Co. they usually have chick days in the middle of feb here (figure you being in the south they may have it the same time of yr as us), I got road island reds there for the eggs, and ordered the rest from ideal.. hope this helps.. Also hens usually dont start to lay eggs til about 18 weeks or so, you can get them some layena chicken food that helps them lay more.. and with this time of year they lay less because of the days being shorter (I keep a light on mine all night long (also to keep them warm) and mine are still laying really good...

All healthy hens lay eggs. Some not as often as others, some not as young. I have never heard of your breed, but then I am not exactly an expert either. Perhaps yours is a breed that takes longer to mature. Most likely, they will start laying for you when the weather gets warm and the days longer. Try a little cheyenne pepper sprinkled on the feed. They say that really gets the laying started.

Back
Top Bottom