hatcheries

monicaei

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
I am interested in purchasing some chicks online. Are there any reputable hatcheries you can recommend? I have seen McMurrays ebsite but it appears that they have males only for most breeds at this time. Suggestions?

I bought my babies from Ideal. I ordered two RIR and two BO. They sent me 16! I think they were all males, but I gave them away on craigslist. They added them for 'warmth' The only thing is that your total has to be at least $25. So I ordered a book and stuff called 'Gro-Gel.' All my babies are doing great! They are going on three weeks old right now.

Last edited:
Quote:
I didn't know books counted towards that. I want just two ducklings to add to my pond eventually, and don't want anything else. I can always eat packing peanuts.

Quote:
Yea, it just says that the order has to total $25. All I wanted when I ordered was 4 chicks nothing else. But they(Ideal) was the only ones that had the chicks I wanted without having to order a huge number of them. What I ended up buying was one book, 4 chicks and two things of Gro-Gel. My total came out to $26 something. Ideal stated that if buying a low number of chicks "Males may be added for warmth." When I showed up at the post office I had a total of 16 chicks. I wasnt charged for anything of the 'extras'. Thankfully someone from craigslist was looking for chicks, I got rid if them that very day.

The minimum order is $20. I have ordered from them one time before, they didn't send any extras but I didn't lose any either, and I was very happy with them. My 2nd order from them is due to come in this week! 24 chickies, I am so excited!

I've only used Ideal, and they're customer service is great! They have a really good variety. Sandhill Preservation has some really nice birds too!

I like cackle hatchery the best.

www.cacklehatchery.com

They have a minimum order too, but this is to protect the chicks during shipment.

If you just want to order a few, you will probably have to go to my pet chicken

www.mypetchicken.com

They don't have a minimum, as they add a little heating pad, but you may pay as much for a few as you would for 15 elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom