Hatcheries!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DuckMan50, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DuckMan50

DuckMan50 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I alread have ducks and chickens and thinking about getting geese. what is the cheapest hatchery to buy geese close to pennsylvania???

2. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    I'm in Western NY so have used Meyer Hatchery in Ohio with good success, but I think you may have trouble finding geese this late in the season. I tried to buy goslings the end of May and every hatchery I contacted was sold out for the year. Hope you can find some goslings someplace because they are really unique. Perhaps it was just because I was looking for Pilgrims. Maybe Craigslist or a local person in your area may have some young stock for sale. Good luck to you!

3. DuckMan50

DuckMan50 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    thanx.

Anybody else want 2 comment???

4. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    There's also Myer Poultry Farm in western PA. I ordered from them last year and was very happy with them.

5. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I ordered Pilgrim goslings from Ideal this spring and was very happy with them

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I ordered a sexed pair of Toulouse geese from Ideal and am very happy - especialy since Ideal said it was the last hatch of geese for the year.

Geese are so much more "seasonal" layers than chickens, so it might be very hard to find any babies this time of year. Good luck!

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If cheap is your only criteria, you might keep an eye on Craigslist. Lots of people get geese and then decide they don't like them and try to sell them. They will be cheap, or even free.

8. pitbullnh

pitbullnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Meredith
    Do you have chicken swaps in your area? You can check there...if not the fall fairs are coming up..good luck on your goose search..
    Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by