hatchers?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Countrypunk92, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    So I noticed when people incubate and they start to hatvh they take them.to a hatvher and lock em.in until they are fully hatched? Ive got a big incubator.. but does this mean I need to make something else to hatch them in?

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I use the same incubator for hatching, I don't change anything except the humidity.... The only time when I use something different is when the process is done and we go into the brooder..

3. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    What is lockdown?

4. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Usually you put your eggs into "lockdown" on day 19. What it means is you quit turning them, and increase your humidity to 60 or 70% if you can get it that high. Then you just sit and wait the next three days for your eggs to start hatching. I usually have one who pips the day before [​IMG]

So, if you have more than one batch of eggs in your big incubator, you would need a second incubator for lockdown, since your eggs would need higher humidity on different times. We have a big incubator too, and ours has more than one group of eggs in it. I just write the lockdown date on the big end of the egg when I number them. That way I won't wake up to chirping eggs in the big bator. Oh, the lockdown part of lockdown is that you are not supposed to open the incubator until they all hatch, so your humidity is stays constant. Many people use one of the vent holes to use a straw to add water to keep the humidity good, and that way they don't have to open the bator to add water.

5. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    So what if they dont all hatch at the same time.but are in same batch?

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Hatcher is for when you have different ages of eggs (or different types) in your incubator.

Countrypunk, eggs never hatch all at the same time. If they are the same age eggs, they might hatch over a 2 day period. You just leave the incubator in lock down until they are all hatched. Chicks can go 2 days without food or water. You leave them in the incubator to dry off and gain strength.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Also, by hatching in a hatcher, you can confine the mess to a smaller space and make clean-up easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by