Hatchery Beak Trimming

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickMandy, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ChickMandy

ChickMandy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Amaranth Ontario
    We picked up three new 19wk pullets from the local feed mill (supplied by a hatchery). It is the standard procedure of this hatchery to trim beaks of all pullets, even though we'd rather they not be. One of the hens in the last group we got had been debeaked, but we think it was because of pecking.

Anyway, one we picked up today has a very short top and long bottom to her beak. She looks funny and I wonder if it will cause any problems for her, or if there's any way we can fix it so it's not so uneven.

Thanks!

2. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Poor girl. [​IMG] Yes, she may have problems, particualy picking things like grain off the ground. She may have trouble eating goodies she finds when free ranging. Make sure there is always plenty of feed in a feeder so she can grab it. Unfortunatly there isn't much you can do about it now.

I had some girls I bought as spent hens who had problems, they had a very short top beak and I made sure to give them treats from my hand when I scatered them on the ground for the others. They were very friendly girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by