Hatchery Black Copper Maran breed standard?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN, Dec 16, 2011.

1. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    OK well I was wondering about the black copper maran breed standard...... do big hatcheries (such as Meyer, or McMurray) sell Black Copper Marans that standards correspond with Marans of Americas Club (such as:is the copper really copper or is it gold on their neck??) Or do they just breed what they think is Back Copper Marans? This makes me confused so I would be happy if someone will reply!

2. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Oct 11, 2011
    Has anyone ever ordered a Black copper Maran from a big hatchery?

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If you are breeding towards the SOP (Standard of Perfection), then you want to buy from a carefully selected breeder, and not a hatchery. While the hatchery may have purchased their original stock from a supposed breeder, they do not maintain the quality of egg color or the breed's conformation. Go to one of the Marans threads here on BYC to learn more [​IMG] Oh, by the way, the breed name is MARANS. whether you are speaking of one bird, or 100 birds, it always has the "S" on the end!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Oct 11, 2011
    Ok thank you, I was wondering if anyone has actually ordered Black Copper Marans from a big hatchery and if they could post a picture of theirs! I got my French Black Copper Marans from a breeder. I love their dark eggs that they lay for me! The big hatchery Black Copper Marans are pretty expensive.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  5. siberian

siberian Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Our first year with them. Whenever we get animals we try to deal with a breeder we trust. 1. Figure this is there love and they are really into the best. 2. When it comes time for breeding questions, culling.... the breeders seem to have a better idea of the weak and strong points and have ofton been a huge asset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by