hatchery bloodlines

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by redturtle, Aug 15, 2010.

1. redturtle

redturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    my ? is..........
    if i order the same breed of chixn from several different hatcheries.........will i get different bloodlines or do they trace back to the same few breeding pairs???
    thnx for the info

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Different bloodlines if you have it from different hatcheries.

I would not worry too much about it, they are so unrelated that you can breed safetly for five to ten generations out of 25 chicks.

3. redturtle

redturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    thnx for the info....my DH told me not to worry too but i just know i will have a hard time culling something...at least if bloodlines are different i wont have to worry about anything screwy from that perspective...lol

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well the hatchery or the breeder (contracted by the hatchery) would not have just one roo and 10 hens. I believe they have more than 100 chickens given at a time, sometimes more if the demand is greater. So the gene pool is wide. If they get complaints or they see deformities in the chicks in the brooder before mailing them off, they would do their research, either to get new roosters or something else going on there.

With yourself, if you go alot smaller, like a trio or quad, you can do different things, playing musical chairs like father to daughter or grandfather to granddaughter, vice versa for mother and son, aunts and uncles crossing over grandkids, etc. There are room to play.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by