Hatchery bred show quality Silkie

CreamBruelle

Chirping
Sep 26, 2016
Hello everyone! A little more than a year ago I bought Silkie chicks from Murray McMurray hatchery and to my surprise one of them ended up being a show quaility Silkie! She has a nice big and puffy crest, excellent plumage, and beautiful coloring! She does really good at comps and I'm looking to breed her back to a show quality rooster from Magnolia Silkies. The rest of her sisters look nothing like her so I'm wondering when breeding her, if 50% will look like her siblings and 50% look like her? I know I'm not going to get 100% show quality silkies for generations, but does anyone have an idea on how the outcome of the offspring will turn out?

Last edited:
The high probability is that none of your other silkies are really her sisters given the large number of breeders likely kept at the hatchery. It will be interesting to see the results of breeding her to a top rooster and then breeding back into the same line that he came from. I would also mate the hen to the best of her sons to see what that produced.

Back
Top Bottom