hatchery breeds

morton

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
olivesburg, ohio
im new to byc and have had chickens for 6 months. i got buff orpingtons and barred plymouth rocks from a hatchery. is it possible to get good bloodlines from a hatchery?

Absolutely. Some of the best show birds can come from a hatchery if you're lucky. The owner just has sign a contract with the hatchery and bam, you've got some really nice birds.

It is possible to get good lines from a hatchery. Some hatcheries actually sell birds that are marginally show quality, for a greater price. However, in most cases, birds from a hatchery will not be show birds. They will have been bred for production and egg size, not conformation to the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection. Hatcheries care about quantity, not quality. If you want show chickens, go to a private breeder who breeds to the Standard of Perfection.

I ask because I have a really nice looking BO but a lot of my other birds seem small. I want breed them so should I cull the small ones. Sorry I'm really new at this

I ask because I have a really nice looking BO but a lot of my other birds seem small. I want breed them so should I cull the small ones. Sorry I'm really new at this
If you want to breed Buff Orpingtons, yes, I'd get rid of the small ones. Buff Orpingtons are supposed to be large, fluffy birds with deep golden coloring. Hatchery Buff Orpingtons tend to be small and too light in color.

Hi Morton and
welcome-byc.gif

Are these your first chickens? What breeds are you interested in and do you plan to show?

I have gotten a variety of breeds from 5 different hatcheries (through the feed stores). All of the feed stores I have purchased chicks from place orders well in advance and can tell you which hatchery a certain batch came from and when they are expected. One feed store gets in chicks from 5 different hatcheries any given week during the summer and another has chicks year-round.

I have gotten chickens that I think I could show (although I am sure they would not be champions) and I have gotten others that are pretty off-type. I have yet to see a really good quality barred rock from a hatchery--the body types aren't too bad but the feathering is faster on the HQ so the bars are wider -- there is a huge difference between HQ and SQ from what I have seen.

I have had 2 Welsummers from different hatcheries. My first one I would have been able to show, the other is too lanky and looks a little Game-y and no way would she be competitive in a show.

So its a crap shoot with hatchery stock. If you are serious about showing birds definitely go with a breeder, if you want a productive hen that is inexpensive and you want to try to show for fun, or for showmanship (4H) hatchery stock will probably be ok, just dont expect to win any ribbons.

You may want to post pictures of your birds over on the Orpington thread. There are at least two threads--one for English Orpingtons and one for Orpingtons and maybe others. Althogh the English type are pretty they are not to the APA standard, so you'll want to check the threads. The only way to know if they are to standard is to buy the APA standards book, or to talk to someone that knows the standard and get advice from them.

Last edited:
I do not plan on showing but I do want pretty and productive birds for my own amusement really.

dretd...
do you know why BOs are lighter from hatchery?

Back
Top Bottom