Hatchery Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lynzi777, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Has anyone ever ordered Call Ducks from a hatchery and have some pictures to share? I'm looking to get started with a pair of Call Ducks this year and finding it difficult to find some. I'm not looking for show quality, I have no plans to breed them, really just want them as pets however, after seeing the ducks at the last few shows I attended, I'm going to be picky. I've seen some pictures of Call Ducks and their beaks aren't as short as they should be. some are a bit larger in size also. So my question is, IF I end up going with Hatchery, am I going to be disappointed and not only regret my purchase but also still be on the hunt for Calls?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Do you have a certain color you're looking for?

3. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Well I absolutely love the Pastels, but like the butterscotch, magpies, and a few others. I think I'm just in love with the Pastel drakes to be honest. LOL But at this point would love to have 2 and move on from there come Spring/Summer.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    1 person likes this.
  5. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Thank you! I just emailed them. Hopefully they have something.

6. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    they should theyve been emailing me alot lately about them

1 person likes this.
  7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yup, you won't be disappointed with Holderreads! And I think they are the only ones currently selling adults (other than individual breeders).
    But if you order calls from a hatchery like those that do chicks and such then don't expect small bills, small bodies, and round heads. They aren't bred for quality at all so you simply get pet quality or cull type calls

1 person likes this.
  8. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    i dont see the point in culling calls there too small

( plus i dont cull any ducks but that just my standpoint)

9. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT

Thanks! I did ema them but they're going thru some family stuff right now? So I'll just wait patiently for them to get back to me. I did find another breeder who has some drakes available, waiting to hear back from them too.

10. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    By culling I just meant "non- breeding", not eating :)

I "cull" those that I raise and who don't fit into my breeding program. Sadly there are more poor quality birds out there than show or breeder quality and if you are breeding for quality and specific traits, then you will have lots that don't make the cut. Those get "culled" from the flock. When I cull, I sell them as such (most go as pets) or if larger breeds, I eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by