Hatchery chicks question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by darrell8, May 28, 2008.

1. darrell8

darrell8 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    I have a order of 30 chicks coming from Meyer hatcher. This is the first time I have ordered any chicks from a hatchery and they are suppose to be here tomorrow. THe question is what do I need to do when I get them? I ordered something they said is good to put in there water when you first get them so I went ahead and ordered some. Do I not feed them when I get them home and if not how long do I wait? Any help would be great I have my broader ready for them Cause I hope they call me from the post office well before I have to go to work at 7am. Thanks everyone

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    make sure you have marbles in their water so they won't drown. and put feed in there, they will find it. Make sure you have the light in the box and it is warm enough.... and make sure it is big enough so they can get away from the light if they get too hot. if you are going to work that same day you should check the temp and have it ready the day before. Otherwise they should be ok.
    make sure that nothing can get to them too...
    I am sure there are threads here on how to care for baby chicks.
    we got 50 from meyer hatchery and they did pretty good.
    the post office will probably call you at about 4am or 5am.
    good luck!!!!

3. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

You said that you have your brooder ready, so I assume that means you have heat etc.

Food/water wise, have it set up and ready for them to use when they decide it's time - and they won't wait too long.

I've found that a healthy chick will normally find their food and water on their own a short time after the shock of being mailed wears off. Sometimes I dip their beaks in the water as I unpack them, depending on how they look.

good luck

4. darrell8

darrell8 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    Thanks for the replys I will go ahead and get there feeder full and check my temps I have a big area they can go in so they can get out of the light as they need. I am new to this whole chicken thing and this website has been a big help.

One more question I have chicks hatching now I had 3 lastnight and 2 today and 2 more eggs pipped can I put these chicks in the brooder with the ones I will be getting tomorrow?

5. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    you should be able to put them all together, just watch them for picking.... they will be the same age and since you have so many they may be confused anyways.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

My first batch of chicks (Cornish X) I just put them in brooder and let them find the water and food on their own. Lost 13 out of 50. Can't say it was because I didn't water them because the loss was over a week or more.

My second batch, different breeds and hatchery, I dipped each chick's beak in water and watched it drink. Lost 0 out of 54.

In a previous post it sounded like put the food in the water. Not sure that's what they meant. Marbles in the dish I think depends on the waterer. My waterers for chicks are real shallow and I never lost any to drowning.

Have food available for them.

It should be OK to put all the chicks together. They will be real close to the same age and size.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would say that the loss of 13/50 from cornish x isn't too bad per se since they are prone to just dying due to their genetics.

Just pop them in the brooder, let them heat up and they should be good to go once their engines start up. Beak dipping into water can be helpful, but just a few need to learn and the rest will follow.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I just got my chicks last week and all are doing great BUT one thing I learned is to watch for pasty butt! I had two that developed pasty butt and you have to run it under warm water to losen the poop so you can wipe it off with a paper towel as the water runs over it. Otherwise they could die. I almost lost two of mine because I didn't know what it was. So watch the vent area and make sure it's clear of all poop. And if one does get it...get a cotton swab and rub olive oil around the vent area after it's totally cleaned and they won't get it back. It worked for me like a charm!

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  9. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I have shallow waters too, and I had a chick drown in the water. I always put marbles in! they also are curious and it draws their attention to the water. I haven't lost any chicks and they find the water themselves, occasionally I will show one or 2 the water, they all watch each other. I know turkeys are dumb and they need chicks to show them how to drink. I have 5 turkeys coming, and ordered chicks with them! I have read alot of things on this message board, Thank God!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by