Hatchery chicks under a broody hen? Will it work?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mikeksfarmer, Mar 23, 2009.

1. mikeksfarmer

mikeksfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bonner springs KS
    I want to order some chicks this spring, to replace losses. I really dont want a box of chicks in my house again. If I have a broody hen and let her set for 2+ weeks can I sneek some day old hatchery chicks under and be successful?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Others have done this successfully. Keep a very, very close eye on her broody as she may reject them.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

most succesful if done at night Mike.

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I like this idea... lol. Glad you posted a question about it, I wouldnt have thought about it. Or rather, i would have thought that the hen would peck the new chicks....

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'd love to know how this goes, so keep us posted!

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it would definately work. At night is best, as soon as she hears the cheeping chicks, she'll probably perk up and make those mama-hen noises. Tuck a few under her and grab a few fake eggs, then tuck the rest under her, getting the rest of the eggs. How many chicks do you plan to give her?

What kind of chicken is your broody? I have Silkies and they're really laid back - they'll adopt anything.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Be certain that it is late at night and very very dark before you put the chicks under her. I have done this before too early in the evening when the hen was not truly good and asleep. It was desasterous! She pecked the babies to death in a matter of minutes. I was devestated! I have had luck however by using the late night method and being very gentle when adding the babies so as not to rouse the hen any more than possible.
    [​IMG] Good Luck!

8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:It can be done if broody just hatched at least a few of her chicks, otherwise I did not try it, I doubt it.

If you try it watch it closely for rejection and immediately take them off the hen, she may injure them or kill them.

9. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    yes we do it all the time here,my grandma would even give baby ducks and baby turkeys to an old setten hen,thats a funny sight

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  10. lilychemgirl

lilychemgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    We successfully did it, and with a hen who hadn't been sitting for long and had just been moved to a friend's house (he hatched his own, but then didn't have a suitable brooder, lol, so freaked and asked to borrow one of our girls). We did it at night too. As the other's say, either you'll have a happy mama or no chicks by morning!
    Cheers,
    Lily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by